Prime Minister Harper’s visit to the White House has created a stir — before, during and after the visits. Scroll down to see actions, news and opinion columns, photos, and the public statements following the meeting.
Rainforest Action Network banner drop
at Niagara Falls on the U.S./Canada border
- “>Climate Action Network letter to President Obama
- Rainforest Action Network banner hang at Niagara Falls. [photos]
- Natural Resources Defense Council’s President urges Obama should tell Canada’s Prime Minister ‘No Thanks’ on tar sands expansion at the Huffington Post
- Greenpeace blockade at Shell’s Albian oil sands mine: latest updates and press release, photos.
- Environmental Defence Canada’s Just visiting: Stephen Harper’s climate insincerity
- Greenpeace’s new report brings home the fact that oil sands expansion emits more carbon than some European nations.
- A spectacular new DVD highly critical of oil sands development was released.
- Avaaz Action Factory street theater outside the White House welcomed Prime Minister Harper — starring Carbon Big Foot, the Alberta Clipper pipeline, and a tar sands oil milkshake. [photos]
- The Boston Globe | Hansen and Sanger: Using the market to tackle the climate crisis
- MSNBC | U.S., Canada ties get messy with oil sands issue
- Solve Climate | Stacy Morford: Enviros Greet PM with Tar Sands Protests Ahead of White House Meeting
- The Globe and Mail | Engage the activists
- Toronto Star | Rita Trichur: RBC looks toward sound global acquisitions
- Toronto Star | Hansen: No special treatment for tar sands
- Toronto Star | Mitch Potter: Trade issues dominate Harper, Obama meeting
- Greenpeace Canada | Greenpeace activists block giant tar sands mining operation
- Huffington Post | Canada’s dirty oil Prime Minister in Washington this week
- Huffington Post | Frances Beinecke: Obama should tell Canada’s Prime Minster No Thanks on Tar Sands Expansion
- Reuters | Shell halts mining as activists protest oil sands
- Reuters Canada | Protesters target oil sands before Harper meets Obama
- Washington Examiner | Greenpeace shuts down Royal Dutch Shell’s oil sands mine in Alberta, Canada with protest
- The Calgary Herald | Sarah O’Donnell: Syncrude pleads not guilty in dead ducks case
- The Globe and Mail | Shawn McCarthy: Oil sands under attack on environment
- Greenpeace Canada | Alberta tar sands a major climate and economic threat: Greenpeace report
- The Montreal Gazette | Sheldon Alberts: Oilsands foes ready hostile reception for Harper in D.C.
- CBC | Oilsands emit more than entire countries: report
- The Globe and Mail | Bill Curry: Transport Canada ‘fictitiously expensing millions’
- Joint statement by President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Stephen Harper
- Actual public remarks of the President and Prime Minister
- U.S. – Canada Clean Energy Dialogue Action Plan resulting from the meeting
- dirtyoilsands.org network press release: International Environmental Network Responds to Obama/Harper Meeting