AvaTARsands: James Cameron visits Pandora on Earth
September 2010 – At the urging of First Nations groups, Avatar and Titanic director James Cameron, "the most powerful person in Hollywood", toured the tar sands.
James Cameron on the tar sands
After his tour, and meeting with Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach, Mr. Cameron spoke out through a variety of venue:
- Read the press release associated with James Cameron press conference.
- See clips of the James Cameron press conference. [VIDEO]
- James Cameron’s latest mission, MSNBC [VIDEO]
- Avatar director on environmental mission, PRI’s the World [AUDIO]
- Tailings reclamation may not be answer, Cameron says, CBC
- Cameron warns Alta. oilsands could become a curse, CTV News
- James Cameron Supports Aboriginal People In Lawsuit Against Canada, MTV News
- Read all the news coverage associated with the James Cameron’s visit.
What you can do
If you want to try to protect Pandora on Earth, here are some ways you can help.
One of the key ways to prevent the rapid expansion of the tar sands is stopping Enbridge’s proposed pipeline to the Pacific, where dirty tar sands oil could then be sent by tankers to China and the rest of the world.
In the U.S.
If built, Transcanada’s Keystone XL pipeline would strengthen America’s addiction on dirty tar sands oil. It’s proposed to stretch from Alberta to the Gulf Coast, taking private land, and crossing sensitive areas along the way.
And everyone everywhere can spread the word on Facebook Share.